Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sensory Immersion in Writing

So, I have this weird thing about scent in writing. I think it comes from the fact that I have chronic sinus problems and my sense of smell is very dull. So I describe scents in my writing quite a bit.

I tend to write about vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures with enhanced senses of smell too so there's that too. Plus I know how much predators rely on that specific scent. My father did study wolves for 14 years when I was growing up before switching to the medical field. Yes, I was raised with wolves, but that's another story for another time. Then there's the fact that I grew up watching the X-Men cartoon and Wolverine was always my favorite character.

What all of this means is that I also have very specific scents for my characters. This even transfers in fanfic too. I also know people who freak out if someone start using a different shampoo or what not because they stop smelling like them. (My husband almost throws a fit when I use a product that "covers my natural scent" because he registers scent with so much.) Not to mention different scents trigger different feelings and whatnot.

Some characters I know right off the bat what they smell like.

Forest always smelled like lavender. Another character smells like peppermint. My shapeshifting wolf guy who's not a werewolf smells like sun warmed fur with musk. (I know this sounds weird, but smell a healthy, clean dog that's been playing in the sun on a pleasantly warm day. It's a nice scent.) My Japanese monster huntress smells like green tea and ginger with a hint of chocolate (because she eats it all the time). Another character smells like sandalwood and cinnamon.

Then there are other characters who I cannot figure out what they smell like to safe my life. I can know all the details of their life- what car they drive, the fact that they like deep fried food, that they wear red Converse sneakers and tattered jeans. And they're pretty important characters. I can write their speech patterns with my eyes practically closed. Yet, I have no clue what the hell they smell like.

And this bothers me to no end. To the point where I start to obsess about it because it's going to be something I'll use in a later on story. They're an important character; a possible love interest for an important main character.

Hell, I know what their fucking brother smells like, but not him.

And it bugs me.

In other news though, I'm probably going to have a rant on "strong female characters" pretty soon.

And in other, other news, my JukePop Serial hit the top 30 for the Month of September.  If you haven't gotten a chance to check it out, please do give The Law Unto Herself Chronicles a look.

If I don't make another entry until then, Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment