Sunday, July 8, 2012

I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script . . .


My Husband Linked me to this blog post, and I read it. And there was a lot I can sympathize with the author, and there was a lot that made me chuckle in my experiences of reading something over for someone.

Writing, true writing, is hard. Some people have it, some people don't, and some people can learn to be competent writers but they may not have it.

You should know what it is if you've ever read a book that you couldn't put down or a fanfic that you chomp at the bit to read the next installment of. It is a quality that is hard to put into words. I know I have a hard time describing my writing process, or how I write something such as dialogue or characterization.

Then there are people who think, "Well, writing's easy!"

No, it's not, it really isn't . It may look easy, but to write something worth while and something good you either have it or you don't. It's like drawing a picture, but in some ways, more painstaking. It definitely takes a whole hell of a lot longer. Not to mention there's research and the like as well. Also if you're writing something original there's the terrifying World Building.

Research can take a long time. One time I spent hours looking up things about pulp fiction and movies in the 1930's for a book I'm working on. (It's in my signature and the first five chapters are posted here on the board.) The references were brief, barely a paragraph total, but I wanted to get them right.

So I got off on a bit of a tangent. But there it is.

On a lighter note I started the third and final story for the latest crop of anthologies I'm trying for. The first story I was accepted, I'm iffy on the Second one which was that Fucking Fantasy story (and if I'm not accepted for it, I won't be too disappointed, not to mention the publisher has some weird quirks that seem really unprofessional to me), and then there's this one which the theme is "Psycho Cinema". The title I have going for it is "A Broomstick and Some Popcorn Seasoning".

To all of you inspiring writers out there, when you ask for some one experienced and who produces quality products for a beta, be sure you're giving them something worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment